Ashfield Mall is owned and operated by Abacus Property Group.
Abacus Property Group is subject to the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs). This policy is applicable to Abacus Property Group and its controlled entities (Abacus). This policy describes how Abacus complies with all privacy requirements in protecting all personal information Abacus holds about individuals, whether that information is provided in written form, orally or electronically.
You can obtain a copy of this policy from our website or by contacting us. Information about the APPs and your privacy rights is available at the Privacy Commissioner's website at
Personal information is information or an opinion about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from that material.
Collection of Personal Information
The type of personal information Abacus collects and holds depends upon its dealings with relevant individuals. It includes:
- birth dates;
- telephone numbers;
- email addresses;
- financial information;
- trust or fund name;
- bank account details;
- tax file numbers;
- any information that is required to be collected by law.
Abacus only collects personal information that is reasonably necessary for its dealings with relevant individuals.
Abacus usually collects personal information directly from the individuals it deals with. However, Abacus may collect such information from third parties, for example an individual’s agent, where this is reasonably necessary to allow Abacus to deal with the individual. In such circumstances Abacus will take reasonable steps to inform the individual that it holds the individual’s personal information, unless that is apparent from the circumstances in which the information is provided.
If Abacus inadvertently collects unsolicited personal information from an individual we will, within a reasonable time after collecting any such personal information, determine whether or not we may have collected it in any event under APP 3. If we determine that we could not have collected the personal information, we will, as soon as practicable and where it is lawful and reasonable to do so, destroy the personal information or ensure that it is de-identified.
You do not have to identify yourself (or you may choose to use a pseudonym) when dealing with Abacus, except where:
- Abacus is required or authorised by or under an Australian law, or a court/tribunal order, to deal with individuals who have not identified themselves; or it is impracticable for Abacus to deal with individuals who have not identified themselves.
- Abacus does not generally collect sensitive personal information (including that relating to religious views, personal health, ethnicity or political opinion). However, in certain circumstances Abacus may collect some sensitive information if it is reasonably necessary to allow Abacus to deal with the individual and the individual has provided consent to Abacus to do so.
For what purpose do we collect Personal Information?
We are authorised to collect tax file numbers by tax law. It is not compulsory for you to provide your tax file number in order to receive all of our services but, if you don’t, tax law requires us to deduct tax from your distributions at the highest marginal rate. We do require tax file numbers for our mortgage investments as, without them, the trustee may incur substantial withholding tax liabilities.
We may use your personal information for direct marketing purposes. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us, you can let us know by e-mailing or telephoning us at the contact address below.
We will not use or disclose your personal information for any purpose other than as set out in this policy, or for a related purpose in circumstances where you would reasonably expect such use or disclosure, where you have consented to such use or disclosure or in circumstances otherwise authorised by the APPs.
To whom do we disclose Personal Information?
Personal information about an individual is not disclosed to anyone without the consent of the individual concerned or where required by law, except in the following circumstances:
- As Abacus outsources certain functions such as its securities registry and custodial services, it needs to disclose investor personal information to these entities.
- The need to disclose personal information to others is generally restricted to consultants such as auditors, accountants and lawyers, insurance companies, property managers and estate agents, and is consistent with normal business practices and service delivery.
- Abacus may sometimes disclose personal information to overseas recipients. However, Abacus will only do so in accordance with the APP’s.
- To assist in locating a missing person.
- To establish, exercise or defend a legal or equitable claim.
- For the purposes of a confidential alternative dispute resolution.
- Where necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to any individual’s life, health or safety or to public health or safety, and it is unreasonable or impracticable to obtain your consent.
- Where necessary in order for Abacus to take appropriate action in relation to a reasonable suspicion of unlawful activity, or misconduct of a serious nature.
Unless you provide an e-mail address in the course of your visit to our website, we cannot identify you.
The security of your Personal Information
We treat your personal information as confidential. Access to our premises is controlled by allowing only personnel with security passes to access the premises. All electronically held information is protected through the use of firewalls and access passwords on each computer.
Updating and accessing your Personal Information
Abacus takes reasonable steps to correct personal information to ensure that, having regard to the purpose for which the information is held, it is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading if either:
- Abacus is satisfied that it needs to be corrected, or
- an individual requests that their personal information be corrected.
If you become aware of, or believe at any time that information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or outdated, you may contact us by any of the methods set out below and provide us with evidence of the inaccuracy, incompleteness or out datedness. We will, if we agree that the information requires correcting, take all reasonable steps to correct the information.
In most cases, you are entitled to access your personal information. We will endeavour to respond to any request for access within two to four weeks, depending on the complexity of the information or the request. Under the APPs, access can be denied in certain circumstances. We will give you our reasons for denying access if we do so. If the request is complex or time consuming, we may charge a fee for giving you access.
Making a complaint
If you have a complaint about our treatment of your personal information, you should contact us by any of the methods set out below. Depending on the complexity of your complaint, we will consider and respond to it within 7-30 days. We will use our best endeavours to resolve any complaint to your satisfaction. However, if you are not satisfied with our response, you are entitled to contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner who may investigate your complaint further.
Contacting us about privacy and your Personal Information
Contacting us about privacy and your Personal Information
Privacy Officer - Abacus Funds Management Limited, Level 34 Australia Square, 264-278 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000
(02) 9253 8600
(02) 9253 8616